With a background of fashion, Yiru is a textile storyteller who aspires to become a textile art therapist. She explored the healing effect of handworks during the process of self-taught hand-knitting and crocheting.
Influenced by psychology, Yiru keeps exploring the diversity of living beings and human nature. Within a body dwells in “reality”, her mind lives on a spiritual space with a plethora of creatures, where she draws her inspiration. She aims to pull her imaginary world into reality, showing them through handcrafted textiles. It is through her self-healing process that she can deal with the accumulated trauma of being in a world full of suffocating strictness.
Apr.2022 – BAAT CPD Art Therapy Foundation
Sep.2019 – July.2021 Royal College of Art MA in Textile (Knit)
Feb.2015 – Dec.2017 Parson The New School of Design AAS in Fashion Design
Sep.2010 – Jun. 2014 Zhejiang University of Media and Communications BA in Media and Broadcasting
Awards, Publications, Workshops
- Apr.2019 Ceramic work I Am Growing; Too Soft to Bite; Take A Look I & II and “Threesome” Masks for dolls, 5works in total were published on Salann Magazine (Paper) https://salannmagazine.com/2ndedition/
- Mar.2019. Textile Artwork Self-Taught exhibitedat Artosino Gallery, New York.
- Jan 2020: Lecturer in London Chinese Culture Salon http://qiangaoyuan.london/20200111
- In N Out published on Fashion Crossover London https://www.fashioncrossover-london.com/yiru-chen-royal-college-of-art-2021-i3916
- Apr. 2021: Textile samples were selected and published on Contemporary Knitwear Magazine AW 22/23
- Mar. 2022 17th Athens Animfest: Stop Motion Film: Official selected—Knitting Warrior https://athensanimfest.eu/
- Mar. 2022, Royal Society of Television &Motion Picture Awards: Winner of Animated Film—Knitting Warrior https://rstmp.org/monthly-results-march-2022/
- Apr. 2022,International Motion Picture Awards: Winner of Best Experiential Film—Knitting Warrior https://www.impa.ca/mar-2022?pgid=l3fe69sl1-ceb4b5ba-2485-4627-9631-aec2756f60cb
- May 2022, Gospel Film Festival: Stop Motion Film Knitting Warrior was official selected—Best Short.
- May 2022,Lift-Off Filmmaker Sessions @ PinewoodStudios: Knitting Warrior was official selected—First-time film maker.